Miami Hurricanes Odds & Ends
This past weekend for the Miami Hurricanes was dreadful and not just for the fact its ACC title game hopes have been drastically diminished. Not only were the Hurricanes upended by the Virginia Cavaliers, but it has also lost Jacory Harris for this weekend’s game against Maryland. Harris suffered a concussion in the second quarter in the game against Virginia.
- With Harris out against Maryland, true freshman Stephen Morris will get the nod to start. The ‘Canes had to burn Morris’ redshirt last Saturday due to an injury to backup quarterback A.J. Highsmith and the ineffective performance of Spencer Whipple. Susan Miller Degnan and Manny Navarro have a nice piece about Morris’ performance against Virgina following Harris’ injury. Steve Gorton also notes that both Hurricane coaches and players alike have plenty of confidence in Morris.
- With more on the Maryland game, Manny Navarro posted several video interviews at the Miami Herald with ‘Canes players with their thoughts on the upcoming game.
- Also at the Miami Herald, Dengan argues the ‘Canes must step up on the defensive side of the ball to rebound against Maryland.
- At the Palm Beach Post, Jorge Millan notes that Randy Shannon has simply been ignoring the criticism brought his way. Message boards and radio stations alike have been blasting Shannon, questioning whether he is the right man for the job as head coach. Despite the fact his team’s chances of playing in a BCS bowl have essentially evaporated, Millan claims that university president Donna Shalala remains supportive of Shannon.
- Over at the Sun-Sentinel, Dave Hyde questions the play calling of offensive coordinator Mark Whipple. Like Shannon, Whipple has been dealt heavy criticism for the team’s struggles.
- Over at Canes Time (subscription required), Jeff Baumhower notes that DB and Miami commit remains a solid commitment to the ‘Canes despite their struggles.
- At Rivals, Eli Rogers (who decommitted from Miami a couple of weeks back) still has the ‘Canes high on his list, but is also considering the likes of Cincinnati, Louisville, LSU, South Florida and UCF.
And with some former ‘Canes news, Steve Gorten writes that LB Dan Morgan and WR’s Reggie Wayne and Santana Moss will be inducted into the University of Miami Hall of Fame in 2011.
Also, for those who may have not seen, below is a video of the vicious hit Harris took against the Cavaliers. I must warn, this video is not for the faint of heart.